Special to the Enterprise
Firefighters were called to the residence of former Brantley County Board of Education and current Development Authority member Linda Marion today about 3 p.m. when her residence burst into flames.
Officials told the Brantley Enterprise that Marion is in Atlanta and no one was inside the house. Witnesses say the fire started on the front porch, then flames climbed to the ceiling and into the attic of the fat-lighter frame work of the residence, where it quickly spread to consume the entire house.
Neighbors said they rushed inside to search for Marion before the flames had spread, unaware that she was not home at the time of the fire and made it out as the smoke started to fill the inside.
Multiple departments responded to the fire and no injuries have been reported.
The blaze forced the closure of a portion of Hwy. 301 South starting at the Hwy. 82 intersection and extending south a quarter mile to make room for several emergency and utility vehicles that came in to try to stop the fire.
Witnesses and family friends confirmed that Marion had been notified of the blaze and said that she had lived in the home for upwards of 40 years.
More details will be posted when available.